...................................................................LET US LEARN TOGETHER WHAT IS GOOD. Job 34:4b(NIV)................................................................Some people see the Bible as a long and boring book filled with incidents and events from the lives of ancient people who probably never existed. The biblical stories are seen as fables. In this blog, many of the situations and conversations found in the divinely inspired Holy Scriptures have been placed in categories that correspond to expressive sayings and phrases. Reference information, background information and links connecting the people and places are given to help you find a place to begin reading the Bible for yourself.

Tuesday, March 01, 2022

Yes or No

From a letter written by the apostle Paul,
to believers in Corinth and the surrounding regions:

Behold, the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children. And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved. But be it so, I did not burden you: nevertheless, being crafty, I caught you with guile. Did I make a gain of you by any of them whom I sent unto you? I desired Titus, and with him I sent a brother. Did Titus make a gain of you? walked we not in the same spirit? walked we not in the same steps? Again, think ye that we excuse ourselves unto you? we speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying. For I fear, lest when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults: And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.-2 Corinthians 12:14-21***Years after Jesus the Christ, the Son of God, was betrayed, arrested, crucified, buried in a tomb, resurrected, and returned to heaven, the apostle Paul (Saul) was preparing to journey to Corinth. Paul was an Israelite from the tribe of Benjamin, descended from Abraham (Abram the Hebrew) and Sarah (Sarai), Isaac and Rebekah, Jacob (Israel) and Rachel, and Jacob and Rachel's 2nd and last son Benjamin. The divinely inspired Scriptures of the Holy Bible reveal that in Corinth Paul met Aquila and Priscilla (Prisca), and Paul spoke of Jesus the Christ and everlasting life to Israelites and Gentiles, people not born into the Israelite tribes, and Paul heard Jesus speaking to him, and Paul was taken by the Israelites to the judgment seat. Sosthenes, the synagogue ruler, was beaten in front of the judgment seat in Corinth.-Genesis 11:26-35:29, 1 Chronicles 1:1-34, 2:1-17, 3:1-24, 8:1-40, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts 1:1-26, 6:1-8:4, 9:1-31, 11:19-28:31, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Titus

Reference Information:
bewail = pentheso/pentheo/penthos = mourn or grieve over, lament

desired = parekalesa/parakaleo = urged, encouraged, exhorted

edifying = oikodomes/oikodome = upbuilding, building

gain = epleonektesa = pleonekteo = exploit, defraud, take advantage of, acquire more, overreach

lasciviousness = aselgeia = violent, unnatural spite and condition of restless excitement that rejects restraint and indulges in lawless and wanton disrespect, sensuality

lay up = thesaurizen/thesaurizo/thesauros = store up, treasure up, amass

Reference Scriptures: 
Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother, Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:-1 Corinthians 1:1-2...For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church.-1 Corinthians 4:17...It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.-1 Corinthians 5:1...Now I will come unto you, when I shall pass through Macedonia: for I do pass through Macedonia.-1 Corinthians 16:5

Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:-2 Corinthians 1:1...And in this confidence I was minded to come unto you before, that ye might have a second benefit;-2 Corinthians 1:15...Nevertheless God, that comforteth those that are cast down, comforted us by the coming of Titus. And not by his coming only, but by the consolation wherewith he was comforted in you, when he told us your earnest desire, your mourning, your fervent mind toward me; so that I rejoiced the more. For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season.-2 Corinthians 7:6-8

Click the link below to read more posts in this category: